A few other painting gems culled from YouTube:
• Robert Rauschenberg speaks of erasing De Kooning.
• Clip from Hans Namuth’s 1951 film of Jackson Pollock painting – I love Pollock’s celebrated, definitive voice-over, a de facto national treasure!
• Another few seconds from inside Pollock’s barn.
• Trailer of The Mystery Of Picasso (1956).
• Cope 2: Old School graffiti master.
• Jean-Michel Basquiat painting from Downtown 81.
• Rinpa Eshidan offers painting as performance.
• Salvador Dali on What’s My Line – incredibly engaging!
For purposes of comparison and intrigue the thumbnail pop-up windows offer access to each work’s original, pre-retrofit state. (note: The first three retrofits lack images of their prior state because I hadn’t yet recognized the value in documenting them, but feel they deserve to accompany their brethren).
One especially interesting thing about this little reclamation project is that I could only arrive upon a satisfying composition through additive means, since I couldn’t remove or alter the earlier, fixed state. This was the project’s liberating restraint.